Background by Freepik

Sunday, May 20, 2012

My blog is Carbon Neutral!

Honestly I had know idea about my blog leaving a carbon footprint behind on our planet. I am all about being green and using the most environmentally friendly products to prevent any (more) harm to our planet. So when I ran into this, I knew that I immediately needed to take part of it! 


About Carbon Neautral:
“My blog is carbon neutral” is an initiative, originally started in Germany by the “Make it Green” programme, that has the goal to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. We plant a tree for your blog and thereby neutralise your blog’s carbon footprint for the next 50 years! Everyone can make a small contribution to the environment. Every tree counts!

According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems.



As demonstrated in the above calculation, the atmosphere can be relieved by an average of 5kg (11lb.) carbon dioxide every year by planting one tree. An average blog causes 3.6kg (8lb.) of carbon dioxide emissions. Consequently, a tree neutralises the carbon dioxide emissions of a blog. Since a tree lives for an average of 50 years, carbon dioxide emissions of your blog can be completely neutralised for this time period.

How great is this, right? You can go on blogging without worrying your leaving a nasty carbon footprint behind!

Want to make your blog carbon neutral? Click here to find out how!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Comment. I am all for going Green if I can.

    If there was a way to make it a Blog Hop I would so do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Green all the way :)
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! Was hoping to spread around the word ;)
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete